09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Hot Chip (Sat.) / Infected Mushroom (Sun.)

You know, I think I'm right about at the halfway mark now... whew...

Hot Chip





Who they are: A London band signed to James Murphy's DFA Records (always a sign on quality) who have been darlings of the blog-o-sphere for over a year now. Thing is, unlike most of the (and I'm about to invent a sweet acronym right now) DOTBOS (eh? eh? scha-weeeeet!), these guys are actually quite good. Case in point: Deerhoof = DOTBOS. Yup, Deerhoof even gets some scorn a whole year later. Feel the pain, Deerhoof!

What they sound like: It's like white boy nerd funk, which sounds kinda lame but it's pretty fitting. Much like Junior Boys and Fujiya & Miyagi. Hold on now, did I just invent a sub-genre as well? Fuck, I'm good!

Hot Chip - Over And Over



What I think: I like these guys, and the other two bands I just mentioned, quite a bit, but that's probably because I'm a nerdy white boy who is sometimes funky :P Hot Chip also dabble in the remixing with some good results... you may want to hit up Hype Machine and look for their mix of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab"...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infected Mushroom





Who they are: A trance act (huh? they still have trance?) from Israel (oh, that explains it - I can't remember why, but I know that for some reason trance has always been big in Israel. Anyone care to enlighten me?)

What they sound like: Trancetrancetrancetrancetrancetrancetrancetrancetrance. The hard kind. I did manage to find a "slower" song that is actually not too bad to listen to, though...

Infected Mushroom - Elation Station



What I think: It would be pretty hypocritical of me to poo-poo the trance in a kneejerk fashion, since I started in the electronic music by going to Moontribe parties, so let's just say... I'm a bit too old too for, um... this...



PLUR, bitches!

No comments: