09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Jack's Mannequin (Sat.) / The Jesus and Mary Chain (Fri.)

Ah, Monday... as your spirits are crushed by the realization that another work week has begun, look to Coachella for inspiration... and find it somewhat lacking today. Look, Coachella's fun and all, but it doesn't change the fact that your job is a dead-end and you're going nowhere in life. Oh, and nobody likes you.

Jack's Mannequin





Who he is: Andrew McMahon, who was also the frontman of the band Something Corporate. Nope, never heard of 'em either.

What he sounds like: Music from the O.C., for the O.C., and I'm sure at some point it was featured on "The O.C." I'm not going to look that up... I'm just going to assume it's fact.

Jack's Mannequin - Bruised



What I think: Is it wrong to tell someone who survived a battle with Leukemia that his music kinda sucks? But hey, because of this guy, Tommy Lee playing at Coachella is now a distinct possibility (Tommy is his bud and played percussion on most of the tracks of the album.) -- Hold on, I hear the door. I'll get it. Oh, look who's here! The Apocalypse!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jesus and Mary Chain





Who they are: The Scottish brothers Reid and assorted other folk.

What they sound like: I remember first hearing them in college, when my freshman year roomate (this guy named Tom - who had absolutely zero personality and didn't even make it through the full year, but introduced me to all the mopey 80s music I had been totally unaware of... Smiths, Cure, etc., so he did serve some purpose) played the Psychocandy album... just wall to wall feedback and I was like "what the hell, dude?"... and so kinda blew 'em off until the following song popped up on 120 minutes, then I was like, "well, that's not nearly as suck." Okay, so it wasn't exactly an epiphany...

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Head On



What I think: I saw them open up for Depeche Mode back in (cough cough) on the Violator tour, and the one thing I remember was how whichever one is the singer just beat the living crap out of his mic stand for an hour straight while he was singing, leaving it a mangled mess at the end of the show. What did the mic stand do to deserve that? I am told it called his mom a trollop. So it totally deserved it.

Cheerio!!

No comments: