25 June 2007

"Smooth Jazz" can be cool! No, really! It can!

A seriously bad album cover for the first Monday of Summer...



... but a seriously good tune. Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard supposedly did a whole bunch of versions of the tune "Little Sunflower"... I've only heard a couple of 'em, but I'm sure there ain't a version out there that can top this one with Mr. Velvet-Voice-Sweet-Singin'-Brotha Al Jarreau on the vocals. Sure, I suppose you can call it "smooth jazz", but it's not nearly anywhere as wussy as that label implies. It's got an warm, soulful, latin vibe to it and it will sexy up any elevator just fine, you mark my word...

Freddie Hubbard w/ All Jarreau - Little Sunflower



Aww yeah... I don't care if they play it on the WAVE, it works for me! You might have noticed those strings at the beginning that have been sampled many times... see, it's been sampled! It can't be "smooth jazz" if it's been sampled, right?!?! This has got street cred, yo!

:P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shit! I love that rif that has been sampled at the beginning!
What electronic song uses that??????? Its on the tip of my tongue...help!