23 January 2008

Blog-achella 08: Bang for your buck?

You know what one of the fun parts of doing this is? Making sweeping snap judgments on bands based on quickly listening a randomly selected song or three for the first time...

American Bang



Who they are: Four high school friends from Nashville. I don't think they're still in high school though... a couple of 'em are a little too beardy. They didn't let us get away with that where I went to school! Also, they used to be called Bang Bang Bang, but had to change their name... I suspect !!! might have had something to do with that...

What they sound like: Their bio says Southern-Fried Garage Rock... did you know that what truly constitutes "Southern-Fried" chicken is a highly debated topic in the South? Skin or no? Fried in oil or lard? Wars have been fought, brother has been turned against brother, and, um... a lot of people have suffered from high cholesterol... Anyhoo, here's the only song of theirs I could find for you, a T. Rex cover they made available on their Myspace. And although it's a cover, it's, you know, it's what they sound like...

American Bang - Jeepster (ysi)



What I think: (listening to their Myspace player as I type) Way too derivative to get any more than a "meh" outta me. I mean, there's a million bands in a million bars that sound exactly like this, and all of those bands sound exactly like the same 5 Classic Rock bands, so, if I may get a bit Simon Cowell on their ass, why should I care? But hey, they got a Verizon ad and a major label, so good for them. I will, however say, that I'll take these dudes over Kings of Leon, for what that's worth. Can't stand that guy's voice...

No comments: