10 December 2009

You can hang any time

Contemporary Jazz that doesn't suck, and also doesn't come from Japan? Geddafuckouttahere...



... but I've said that before. After over 700 posts, I know that I repeat myself sometimes, which I suppose is natural... as I have very few original ideas and the ones I do have tend to be rather underwhelming. Unlike this new record from Britain's Portico Quartet, which is quite, um... whelming... indeed. Holy shitty segue, Batman. See what I mean? You try to be pithy and entertaining five days a week. Anyhoo, really good record. Atmospheric, dark, and a bit funky. And they use this thing called a hang which is some sort of tuned percussion instrument that looks like a couple of woks thrown together and sounds pretty cool. It's that thing at the beginning of this song that it's hard to tell what it is. Well, it's a hang, so impress your friends with that info, if that's the kind of info that impresses your friends...

Portico Quartet - Dawn Patrol (ysi)







Album of the year contender. And hey, wanna see the hang in action? OF COURSE YOU DO!



I also like the baby saxomaphone. Much cooler than the regular soprano that looks like a clarinet, if you ask me... and you were going to, I know you were...

No comments: