19 March 2010

Blog-achella X: Close But No Cigar

Today, we have a few bands that allllllmost do it for me, but just fall short... which means I'll probably be catching at least a little bit of some of them...

Little Boots is kind of like if Tiesto Van OakenBerg came up with a Pop group in that what would probably be pretty decent and catchy Pop gets weighed down way too hard by cheesy Prog House synth sounds. Pity, because the girl's got some decent hooks...

Yann Tiersen is a French dude who apparently scored the movie Amelie, which I would probably think was pretty impressive had I actually seen it (I know, I know)... but the music on his "non-composer" Myspace is some relatively "meh" acoustic stuff and remember, acoustic acts suck at Coachella... especially if they're anywhere near where anyone else is playing loud music. I'M NOT JUST BEING STINKY HERE, PEOPLE! REMEMBER THIS!

I'm kinda torn on Florence & The Machine as well ... the girl has pretty damn amazing voice, but the music itself is a bit... overwraught, let's say... Bat For Lashes with more bombast... hmmmm...

King Khan & The Shrines are interesting... they sound like some sort of fuzzed-out garage band worshipping at the altar of Little Richard... which is interesting on the surface but wears on me after a bit. One of those acts that you catch for a couple of songs whilst walking from point A to point B, nod in general appreciation and then move on with your curiousity satisfied...

Miike Snow is this Swedish Electro-Pop band that the kids are all wild about these days, but they feel to me like another "drop in for a couple of songs and move along" band... I really wanted to be all into it, but listening through the album, it only grabs me for little bits here and there...

So let's go with...

B.o.B.



Who he is: A new, young singer/rapper from the A.T.L.

What he sounds like: There's not a whole lot out there to go on just yet... his debut album hasn't even, as the kids say, dropped... but what I have heard reminds me more than a little bit of Andre 3000, which is certainly not a bad thing...

B.o.B - I'll Be In The Sky (ysi)




(This one seems to be a pre-album freebie of some kind, so enjoy guilt free.)

What I think: Color me intrigued, but mark it down as must-see if you're a Hip-Hop fan because you got this guy and De La and that's it...



One month from today, folks. Just paid for my hotel room... Buzzzzzzzzzz....

1 comment:

Marcy said...

B.O.B is great live. I saw him open for Kid Cudi at house of blues. Great stage presence and a really polished sound.