09 March 2012

Blog-achella-geddon 20102!: In Honor of Robbie Coltrane

Just got paid/ Friday night/ Actually not really/ On a bi-weekly pay schedule...

One band to skip past today, and that is Manchester Orchestra. I was pleasantly surprised by their non-sucky Rock back in '08 and pegged them as a band to watch. Did I watch them? No. Sometimes I kinda suck like that...

But the Friday post goes to...

Flying Lotus



Who he is: Mr. Stephen Ellison, member of the Coltrane family... and if you have to ask which Coltrane family I'm talking about, you probably shouldn't be reading this blog. Maybe this is a little more your speed. Also, I have a second joke for that one... member of the Coltrane family and I'm not talking about the Robbie Coltrane family, although he is indeed a fine actor. HEY-YOOOO!

What he sounds like: As the de facto leader of the L.A. beat scene, Flying Lotus kind of laid the groundwork for what all of the other kids I've been blogging from said scene are doing. Probably. I mean, that sounds like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it? And hey, if that's good enough for presidential candidates, it's good enough for me. Of course, the thing about FlyLo is that, being a member of the Robbie Coltrane family, he brings a Jazz master's sensibility of, umm... jazz... to the precedings. Someday this kid will be known as the Miles Davis of the sampler. See what I did there? Dick move! Anyhoo, this might be the closest thing to a House track you'll ever hear from him (although the Jazz hits you right from the beginning). Dig it...

Flying Lotus - Do The Astral Plane (ysi)






What I think: Love this guy. And continue to love finding full sets on YouTube... this one starts off as a DJ thang but develops into a full, live jazz combo by the end. Enjoy...



Have a good weekend, all...

No comments: