27 August 2007

World Tour, Shmorld Tour

So you might have noticed there was no #1 stop on the World Tour... well, that's because it was America, and that's just kinda boring. But hey, here's an American artist for you today, so you can count that if you like...



If you want to talk about legendary jazz pianists, then McCoy Tyner better be in your conversation somewhere. Hell, I'll even take him over Monk... hope that doesn't get me branded a heretic. But ever since I first heard him on John Coltrane's "Ole" and he became the first guy in the back line that I really noticed above and beyond the horn players, this guy has been number one on my list. I could go and get all jazz wanky about it, but I won't... just know McCoy Tyner is the bomb and you need to know all about him. Of course, he moved out from behind the shadows and did plenty of work as a leader and here's an example. This track is just fierce, people...

McCoy Tyner - Rebirth




Now that's some piano! Dig it...

No comments: