23 October 2007

Africa Funk Double Dip

Today, an old-school original vs. the new-school remix/remake, but we're not talking about that dreadful BBC covers compilation that just came out, so don't worry...



So this Ethiopiques series is pretty darn good if you're into the African vibe... which, as you know, I am. My favorite one of the 3 or 4 I've picked up so far is this one, dedicated almost exclusively to the music of Mulatu Astatke, who was so hood he went to Berklee. I'll bet he's stoked the Sox came back and made the World Series. Anyhoo, the sound is a groovy combo of East and West, a little bit Africa, a little bit Jazz, a little bit funk. Those are three good things to be a little bit of in my book...

Mulatu Astatke - Yegelle Tezeta (ysi)
Mulatu  Astatke - Éthiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale (1969-1974)



So yeah, that's pleasant... but then a couple of years ago, some guys who call themselves Nephews of Phela decided this would be a nice track to soup up for the dance floor...



... and soup it up they did, using a lot of the original but adding on several layers of percussion, effects and a trumpet line... and this track is deadly. Possibly a wee bit long at 12 minutes, but deadly nonetheless...

Nephews Of Phela - Mulah 2 (ysi)



Now I imagine I would be a bad dirty blogger if I didn't give credit where it's due, so I must tell you I picked this track up about a year ago at the great Captain's Crate, an essential blog if you like it funky. And I know you like it funky, so don't even front. You can actually still pick up the wax at Juno if you like it waxy. And I know you like it waxy, too... pervos. :P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew the original but not the remix and it's great indeed. I'll keep this one on my desktop for a while...
Part 4 in the Ethiopiques series is probably the best one along with the Mahmoud Ahmed compilation.

Pascal.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, i'm going to be mad looking for this remix from Mulatu..unfortunally the zshare link seams to be expired.
Could you uplod it again???
i'll be infinitelly great!!!
Regards

Anonymous said...

I'm only a year and a half late!
Loved the original and am now DESPERATE to hear Mulah 2…
ANY chance of a re-up?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?



strictlyrockers (at) hotmail (dot) com

Unknown said...

thanks for this, it's a winner. Is there anywhere we can get it in higher quality than 160kbs?