28 July 2009

Mellow Yellow Fellows

Once again, I'm going back to the college days for something completely different...



Am I just out of touch or are there no funny bands anymore? I don't mean people like Flight of the Conchords, who are a straight up comedy act, or John Mayer, who thinks he's funny on Twitter... I mean a good band who is funny. Seems back in the '90s there were several acts who could crack you up, but with a finely crafted Pop song... people like They Might Be Giants, Ween, King Missile... and of course The Dead Milkmen. The Milkmen were hilarious, but if you put some "serious" lyrics in there, you'd notice they were damn fine songwriters and musicians. But who wants serious lyrics? It's more just more fun to sing along to a Dead Milkmen song than it is the average Alice In Chains song, and sometimes that's exactly what you need...

The Dead Milkmen - Smokin' Banana Peels (ysi)







I got reminded of this song a couple of weeks back when stories surfaced that Amy Winehouse had been smoking banana peels in St. Lucia... which is one of those stories that's so awesome you can only hope that it's true. Supposedly the whole banana peel thing is a hoax, but I hope not. Y'all go ahead and try this, then get back to me...

-----------------------

UPDATE: The amazing Donna Lethal just passed this along to me and it is far too amazing not to share...

George Guzman - Banana Freak Out



Be sure and drop by her spot and say "Hello". That's an order...

2 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

Banana peel smoking is real! D'you know the classic "Banana Freakout" by George Guzman?! I will send ...

Tonegent said...

I haven't heard that... hook a brother up! :)