21 July 2009

"Summer" Songs Week continues!

So there's a theme this week, and it is "Summer" songs, and it is so on-the-nose that I'm only using songs with "Summer" in the title. I know this is a little abstract, a little outside-of-the-box... but if you concentrate and focus, you'll be able to wrap your head around the concept, I think...



Lonnie Liston Smith's Expansions was kind of a landmark album for me in that it was my gateway into the world of Jazz that was not Be-Bop, aka the funky shit. So props to my man Julien for that one. So while there are better albums of the genre, this one might always be my favorite. Today's track is maybe a teeeeeensy bit on the "smooth" side, but once you get past the introductory hook into the meat of the tune, it's a nice, tight Latin groove...

Lonnie Liston Smith - Summer Days (ysi)







I love the way he's all smushed up on the cover like he or the artist or most likely both were on a serious mushroom trip, don't you?

(The answer is yes. Yes you do.)

No comments: