16 August 2012

Man-crush United

In which I reveal another face on my own personal Mount Rushmore of cool...



If you've read this blog for any amount of time, you're well aware of my near-inappropriate man-crush on Gilles Peterson. But don't get it twisted. It's not like I wanna have sex with him or wear his skin for a suit. It's just that everything he touches is awesome and I kinda just wanna be him. You would, too. Look at what he does for a living. And he gets SHITLOADS of free records. So the bro-mantical feelings are pretty understandable, no? But there is another... another dude for whom my strictly non-homosexual man-lust is of alarming proportions. And that dude is... Anthony Bourdain. Again, understandable. He pretty much has the best job in the world that doesn't involve playing records. His writing is amazing (read Kitchen Confidential and tell me its not... you would be a bigger liar than Mitt Romney) and his TV shows, No Reservations and The Layover, are my favorite things on television... what can I say, I like to live vicariously through a brotha. AND, despite the fact that he's never touched a fader, he has good taste in music. For instance, Dead Combo, a group featured in his Portugal episode. Traditional regional Folk pumped through amps and a layer of grime... kinda like a Portuguese Calexico. Dig it...

Dead Combo - Lisboa Mulata (ysi)







Here's the Portugal episode in it's entirety, thanks to the wonder of YouTube... watch it and get hooked like me...



Anthony Bourdain, I want you to be my friend...

No comments: