24 February 2009

Blog-achella 09: Dripping with excitement

Sorry I missed you all yesterday... I was, um... snorkeling with Michael Bolton and Kenny G... like fish, those guys, lemme tell ya... yep, that's what I was doing. Anyhoo, hey! We're getting to the top of Friday's lineup. The big names are at the top, right? This is where we're supposed to get excited, right? Right?

(crickets)

Hmmm... well how about The Black Keys? I've covered this guitar/drums duo before, and I'd say my description of them as a less wanky and annoying White Stripes still holds (especially since Jack White has grown ever more annoying in the two years since)... but excitement? Meh.

Okay then... Beirut? A moderately interesting Indie Rock/World Music fusion that for me is ruined by the guy's singing voice. And it's a bit too folky. I think the Hippies would like it... and that's all I need to know to stay away...

So... Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band? They're they guy who used to call himself Bright Eyes and, um... I guess a new band. Or just a new name... don't really know, carn't be arsed to find out. Can you feel my excitement here? Is it palpable?

Leonard Cohen? Well, he's 74 years old, and if they put him on in the afternoon heat, there's a good chance he'll collapse from it. So, that could be kind of exciting...

Oh wait, here's one...

Franz Ferdinand



Who they are: Franz Ferdinand (18 December 1863 – 28 June 1914) was an Archduke of Austria-Este, Prince Imperial of Austria and Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia, and from 1889 until his death, heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia. This caused countries allied with Austria-Hungary (the triple alliance) and countries allied with Serbia (the Triple Entente Powers) to declare war on each other, starting World War I. Then, a few years later, he started a snappy little Scottish pop band. Quite and achievement really, considering he was neither Scottish nor alive.

What they sound like: Haven't fully digested the new record yet, but they are definitely "expanding their sound" on this one... i.e. there's more keyboards and stuff...

Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls (ysi)







What I think: With a sturdy little 3 album ouvre under their belts, you know these guys will turn out a solid set, especially compared to the other geriatric headliners...



Check this out... total age of 4 guys in Franz Ferdinand, 130. Meaning, they're not even young as far as bands go. Total age of Macca, Morrisey & Cohen, 189. You'd need two more Ferdinands to get that. I'm just sayin'...

No comments: