03 March 2009

Blog-achella 09: Hey! They don't suck! Who knew?

So the Saturday lineup started out with a pleasant surprise, and we have another such act today... after plowing through a whole bunch of crap, that is...

Cloud Cult from Minneapolis are one of those bands that when you first hear 'em sound really interesting, what with their built-in string section and their song "Lucky Today" (super catchy little ditty which I know I've heard on some commercial somewhere... trust me, you've heard it)... but once you get a few songs in you realize they're not all that. Can anyone say "one-trick pony"?

Zizek Club from Argentina are also right on the brink of being interesting... kind of somewhere between Kuduro, Reggaeton & Baile Funk. They're the kind of act that the white Indie kids will jump all over because someone like Diplo may have told them they're cool, but you (the esteemed Tonegents reader and connoisseur of all things funky) have a listen to the songs on their Myspace player and tell me with a straight face that you ultimately give a rat's arse... you can't.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti are just kinda crap. I know, terribly incisive commentary, eh?

Ida Maria is this kinda punky Norwegian gal who doesn't really do anything for me either.

Billy Talent are a Pop/Punk band from Toronto, kind of a homeless man's Green Day, like a million and one other Pop/Punk bands. I'm sure they'll kill on the Warped Tour...

But now, pleasant surprise time, despite the horrid band name...

Gang Gang Dance



Who they are: They are an Indie Dance band from New York that are quite the blog darlings... which usually means they're gonna suck. Because let's face it, Indie kid bloggers know fuck-all about dance music.

What they sound like: See, more often than not, so-called Indie Dance acts have one thing in common... that they don't seem to have ever listened to any actual dance music and are in fact quite impossible to dance to. Usually the only thing that can save them is being from New York. LCD, !!!, The Rapture... all from New York. Most of the bad ones... not. So they got that going for 'em. I'd compare 'em to !!! on some heavy mushrooms. They're just as weird, just as refreshingly funky, but the tempos are generally slower...

Gang Gang Dance - Blue Nile (ysi)







What I think: You might be able to tell that I was mildly surprised that I liked these guys, perhaps because I've already mentioned it twice, but hey! I do! Who'da thunk it? Live show looks decent, too.



And since there's a kangaroo at my work today, that will be all...

No comments: