27 October 2011

Meaty, Beaty, Beardy and Bouncy

I'm not generally one to gush all over artists on this blog, but sometimes I do make exceptions...



Earlier this year during our annual Blog-achella festivities I slathered a heaping helping of savory, frothy man-love onto UK beatboxer extraordinaire Beardyman, all of it rightly deserved. The man live is a mind-boggling spectacle to say the least. But now his studio album is out... how does it match up? As well as it can, I guess. Without the "oh shit" factor of watching the guy do his thing in person, it's all about the tunes... and basically you have a highly original, genre-hopping (but mostly Dubstep) record with a pervasive sense humour that's generally lacking in the dark and angst-ridden world of Wobble. I mean, just look at that album cover. Dude is definitely off his fucking rocker in a very good way. How much of it is his voice and how much is keyboards is hard to tell, but it's not like the guy claims to never use any keyboards (including in the live show) so stop hatin', playa. Just revel in the goofiness (and killer bass) of it all...

Beardyman - Vampire Skank (ysi)






Interesting to say the least. Lots more heavy, heavy beats and extreme silliness on this record for sure. I believe there's a skit in there about Justin Bieber being eaten by a pack of wolves. Man, I can't stop talking about that kid, can I? HE'S JUST SO DREAMY!!! Anyhoo, for more of what the Man of Beard can do live, you need to check this re-donkulous BBC Essential Mix he did earlier this year out as well. Holy shitballs...

No comments: