20 April 2007

The Sensory Wave, Manifested In The Hips... Huh?

Funky and Friday... they go together like bacon and eggs, Laverne and Shirley, stalkers and restraining orders...



Another old one here... The Mighty Bop's "La Vague Sensorielle" was one of the very first releases on Bruno Guez's Quango label, from 1995. The Mighty Bop is actually one of the many pseudonyms of that Frenchy pretty boy Bob Sinclar, which is actually a pseudonym, too. (Dude's real name is Christophe Le Friant, if you care... but how weird is that, having a pseudonym that is in itself a normal name? Like if I decided to put out something under the name, I dunno, Greg Johnson or something? WTF?). Anyhoo, this album found Bobby, as his friends call him, collaborating with DJ Cam and Le Funk Mob, so it was kind of a French hip-hop supagroop! Sample-heavy stuff, as the downtempo of the day tended to be...

The Mighty Bop - Le Voyage


Buy It!

Is it just me, or is that sampled guitar line the same one Gang Starr used in "Manifest", just pitched differently? You tell me...

Gang Starr - Manifest
Gang Starr - Mass Appeal: The Best of Gang Starr



Might very well be... but I know what you're saying. You're saying, "Tone, if you were really as cool as you think you are, you'd have that sample source right there on your little hard drive, too." Well, I just so happen to, cuz I is exactly cool as what I done thunk I is :P

James Brown - Bring It Up (Hipster's Avenue)
James Brown - Star Time



Okay, not exactly obscure. I'm still kinda cool... sorta...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww Tone, you know I am a sucker for la musica a la francaise!
And Bob Sinclair is no exception.
Merci Beaucoup!
Speaking of french music i was horrified last night to see some kind of lipstick commerical completely spoofing B.Bardot in Le Mepris...and even more SHOCKED to see them playing Georges Delerue's score for the film (MY FAVORITE!) over the ENTIRE SPOT!
How dare they???!!!!!!
'Tis a sad sad world.