30 April 2007

They're huge in Europe...

Back at 'em! Pickin' it up with the funk...



Plantlife are a Los Angeles group that pretty much no one in Los Angeles knows about. Why? I dunno, probably because they're good. L.A. people aren't really into good music as a whole, friends of this blog excepted. They have, however, picked up quite a following across the pond, where people seem more interested in good new music in general. Gilles caned this record quite vigorously, and it was actually #1 on his year-end Worldwide Winners poll in 2004 - voted by the listeners, so there! It's a real throwback record, taking Parliament, Sly Stone and Prince, shoving 'em through the hip-hop tube and coming out the other end with one of the best pure funk releases in years. So yeah, the sound is retro and new all at the same time, and as you know, we like that around here...

Plantlife - We Can Get High


Buy It!

Word is to expect a new album this year, and I hope that happens. Maybe America will catch on this time. Somehow I doubt it though... sigh...

----------------------------

So how was the big hoo-hah this weekend? I tried to watch some of it on the simulcast but my shitty DSL connection just made it too annoying. Video was almost non-existant and the sound wouldn't play more than 30 seconds without dropouts. I hate DSL so much... I hate it like it was the love child of Interpol and Deerhoof! Did anybody follow any of my recommendations? Are you praising my name for cluing you in on the awesome or are you cursing my bald head for wasting your time with the suck... lemme know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tone, I must say...I had a great time at coachella...great company ( me and my man and a few friends found at the festival)but the line up left a LOT t obe desired...Even the groups I was super siked to see ie. LCD Soundsystem,Air, Good Bad and Queen, were boring....Flat our Yawn-tastic. Air was 1/2 hour late b/c of a bad soundcheck, and played 4 songs, with bad soundcheck quality...and LCD...dude was WASTED...and meh.
oh well...
I DID enjoy DJ Heather a ton...The TeddyBears were AWESOME..and Hot Chip...HOT!
Willie was brilliant and fun..Explosions in the Sky great, and I EVEN enjoyed Arcade Fire a whole bunch (I had to see them, Emilie Simon's boyfriend is their producer)
I'll write more and post later : )