01 October 2008

Truth In Advertising!

The vintage sounds are workin' for me this week, so let's continue with some more...



This might be one of the more ridiculously rare things I've posted on here, and I say that because there is practically zero information out there on the Interwebs about the most-likely Ghanian group Afro Funk. Zilcho. So instead, I'll offer this... I like what they're doing as far as naming the band. You pick up the Afro Funk record, you're hearing yourself some Afro Funk. Brilliant! But what if all bands were required to name themselves so descriptively? We'd have some changes for sure... U2 would be called Bombastic Irish Rock. I'd buy that, sounds like fun. Madonna would be named Old Lady Dance Music, which would intrigue me. Tracey Thorn would be called The Ugly Chick Whose Voice You'd Like To Fuck, Deerhoof would be called Shitty Indie Rock With Japanese Shouting Lady and Interpol would be called If Every Band From The 80s Was Functionally Retarded. Oh, I could go on for days! Seriously, I think it would cure so much uncertainty on your record buying trips... but maybe that's just me. Anyhoo, this song is what we thought it is... Afrobeat/Funk with the bonus of something you don't hear every day in this genre, spacey synth solos. Cool as fuck if you ask me...

Afro Funk - Obanya Special (ysi)



You can't buy this. There's like two copies in the world and they're buried with Jimmy Hoffa. But it is available, obviously. Don't pretend that you don't know where...

No comments: