01 April 2009

Blog-achella 09: K'Nice

Considering I have picked today, the 15th anniversary of my arrival in La Ciudad, to once again try to quit smoking and my focus is, at best, non-existant, here's some acts to skip in scattered, list-y form...

Themselves - Hip-Hop dudes Doseone & Jel of the Anticon family. Really, really weird shit... and not intriguing weird. More WTF weird... and I can't imagine it not being a hot mess live.

Shepard Fairey - The artist who gave you the Obama "Hope" graphic apparently has decided he's a DJ now, too. Great. Now you have something in common with Lindsay Lohan, dude. Maybe Joaquin Phoenix will come out and rap with him.

Vivian Girls - The concept of an all-girl punk band that sings in three part harmony sounds good on paper... but in this case only on paper.

No Age - No Way (See what I did there? Heh? Heh?)

Supermayer - These guys I would do a full post about were I not pressed for time. It's a team-up of Kompakt Techno dudes Superpitcher and Michael Mayer, but it's not just techno, not by a long shot. Definitely check out the tunes on their Myspace.

Brian Jonestown Massacre - A '90s L.A. band that I didn't care about then and certainly don't care about now. If that sounds mean, remember, I crave nicotine right now like Clay Aiken craves cock.

But here's a guy you should check out...

K'Naan



Who he is: A Somali ex-pat based in Toronto who's very popular in Canada. He's won Juno Awards... you know, the ones presented by pregnant teens...

What he sounds like: K'Naan actually reminds me quite a bit of Wyclef Jean... which, if you're scoring at home, is a good thing. I mean, a Mulatu Astatke sample and a guest verse by Chubb Rock? Fuck and yes...

K'Naan - ABC's (ft. Chubb Rock) (ysi)







What I think: Since I've already told you what I think, this just in... the first day to finally sell-out single day passes is... Friday? Shocker. I guess Grandma McCartney really is a big draw. Anyhoo, here's K'Naan live with a bit of a surprise...



Wacky cover versions definitely work at Coachella, maybe he'll do "Band On The Run" in a Macca tribute. Hey, ya never know...

No comments: