29 April 2009

Dubstep is officially cool

I think I'm gonna have to save a space in the year-end Top 10 for this one...



First off, don't hate Martyn for spelling his name with a "y"... he's Dutch, they do that. Because once you get past that, you'll hear an album that's going to win quite a few new converts to Dubstep. The tunes tend to be more on the 2-Step, dance-y side as opposed to the heavy, dubby, wobbly side... but what really makes this record stand out is... well, I don't have the exact words for it, but it kinda sounds like what I'd imagine an Orbital Dubstep record would sound like. Catch my drift?

Martyn - Right? Star! (ysi)







Burial set 'em up for me, now Martyn, Benga and Boxcutter have knocked 'em down. I've never been much of a genre-hopper, but I gotta say that the last "new" style that won me over like this was the Drum & Bass, which I like to this day even though no one in the U.S. listens to it anymore. Dubstep even has it's own playlist in my iTunes now, which is a big deal... to... okay, to nobody, but still... good on ya, Dubstep... keep it coming...

1 comment:

nancie said...

yea, finally some music "I" can dance to... thanks tone!