13 May 2008

The D'n'B 3

I've been up since 4 AM, so forgive me if I ramble...



So, way back in the wee days of Drum & Bass, there were three main guys whose tunes got me into it (all courtesy of Jason Bentley), and they were LTJ Bukem, Goldie and Alex Reece. Now, Alex seemingly had the shortest run of the three, which is odd because his tunes probably had the most pronounced Pop edge. But then it was that Pop edge that seemingly led Goldie to shun Reece from his Metalheadz label, and after putting out a few records under the name "Al's Records", that was all for Mr. Reece. And then Goldie went on to shag Bjork, have a cameo in Snatch, and then become just as irrelevant himself. LTJ, of course, remains the man. The point of all of this discourse? Fucked if I know, but here's Alex Reece's best one...

Alex Reece - Feel The Sunshine (ysi)




How's that for scattered and pointless? Oh well, good tune at least...

5 comments:

Ctelblog said...

Best one? Pulp Friction, surely.

JDS said...

Its late December 1995, and I'm at the firm's Christmas party. Always a top do - everyone dressed up dead posh for it. A free bar, good food, and usually you got at least a snog by the end of the evening, and often more.

There was usually a disco, but some bright spark had decided that the evening's entertainment would initially be provided by one of the staff, who fancied herself as a semi-professional singer.

She was, to be kind to her, dire. I found myself with two options - fall off my chair laughing at her ineptitude, or sidle out the side door. I chose the latter, as I discovered had three other lads.

We'd got our dancing shoes on, and were desperate for this nightmare to end. As we sat there, it dawned on me that I had this brilliant new single in the car.

"Hey, come and have a listen to this. Its brilliant", I tell them and we troop out of the building and over to my car. I opened all four doors and cranked the stereo really high. Within seconds, all four of us, all wearing dinner suits and bow ties, are dancing away like crazy men in the middle of the street, much to the amusement of a couple of police officers who walked past. One of them even asked who the music was by.

"Its called "Feel The Sunshine" by Alex Reece. Fucking brilliant, ain't it?", I said to him.

"It is that, lad", he replied and walked off, but not without throwing a few steps himself.

An abiding memory of a brilliant track. Thanks for the post.

Tonegent said...

Awesome story man... the impromptu car party... sometimes they're the best!

Cheers,

Tone

StellaVista said...

For me the best Alex Reece moment is definately the Kruder&Dorfmeister Remix of "Jazz Master". I think it was the last track on the "Feel the sunshine"-maxi, which was sadly stolen from my car.

Anonymous said...

Pulp fiction, not friction, and that is a great track. He also did some good stuff on Jazz Juice label.

Luke B