26 July 2010

LSD... The "L" Stands For Lagos?

Hey, remember last Friday when I said I'd have a special House music-related post for you today. I apparently totally lied. Okay, I just didn't record my DJ set from last night like I thought I was gonna. Might throw it together in Live for you some time soon... keep waiting with breath FULLY BATED! Anyhoo, here's a tune from the best compilation I've picked up in a hot minute...



Soundway Records, a UK re-issue label specializing in rare, vintage funkiness from Africa and South America, are just fucking killing it lately. Every compilation they have put out is gold and this one is no exception. Raw, funky and with enough fuzzed-out guitars to make your head wobbly, The World Ends is, to me, proof that the drugs in Lagos in the '60s and '70s were every bit as good as those in Haight Ashbury. So that may be why some of those cats looked Jimi in addition to James, and the results are musically stunning. Dig it...

The Funkees - Breakthrough (ysi)




Go buy this one straight from the source... and while you're there feel free to pick up pretty much every single thing they've ever put out. You will NOT be disappointed...

No comments: