10 February 2011

Blog-achella Goes To '11: Another Post? Geddafugouddahere!

Look! I made it back! Twice the posts of last week! Slow down, Mr. Prolific! Anyhoo, we'll start the day with a few acts, none of which are awful but none of which excite me. We have a word around here for that, and that word is "meh"...

First are L.A. rap crew OFWGKTA, which stands for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, which is pretty fucking stupid. That's probably why most people just call 'em Odd Future. The problem I have with them, besides the name, is twofold. For one, it's the music itself is a little slow and sludgy from what I listened to... and for two, there's a lot of dudes, which generally in the live arena means a lot of dudes shouting at the same time. I hate that...

Then comes Excision, which is some less than amazing Dubstep. One of those acts where the emphasis seems to be on "OOOOH, LOOGIT THE PATCHES I MADE! THIS ONE'S MORE CRAZIER THAN THE LAST! WOBBLEWOBBLE! I'M THE HAMBURGLER!" and then applies the same exact half-time beat and (simple-ass) song structure to each tune. Not a standout of the genre and since we already have heard some much better Dubstep, quite unnecessary...

And Moving Units are an Indie Rock band that are pretty good at sounding like they're trying to sound like The Cure...

So who's hot today? Howzabout...

Glasser



Who she is: An L.A. gal whose dad is one of the dudes in Blue Man Group. Luckily she did not inherit his skin color or lack of ears...

What she sounds like: I think Imogen Heap would be a fair comparison... or at least a good place to start. A little bit odder version of Imogen, perhaps, and without the amazing one-woman-band skillz...

Glasser - Mirrorage (ysi)






What I think: Can't hate on that. Give me a cute girl with a nice voice and some bleepy electronics and generally I'm in... but you knew that. Live, as I said, she is not a one woman show like my girl Imogen. But her band are sufficiently geeky with the high tech. Nerd out on this...



See you tomorrow. No, really... three this week, bitches. Just you watch...

No comments: