21 April 2008

Blog-achella 08: The Big Finish!

Okay, so while I've been plowing through the list, there have been some late additions to the lineup, so let's go through those first...

First off we have Vas Defrans reppin' North Hollyhood with some kinda interesting instrumental Rock. But they lose all points for being named after part of my balls...

... then, well... if it isn't Perry Fucking Farrell. You knew he'd worm his way on there eventually... it is tradition! Seriously, though, his fall from singer of one of the greatest bands of all time to unsufferable douchebag has been quite painful to watch, no?

Next, L.A.'s Jupiter's Ring, who appear to all be about fifteen years old, so instead of listening to their music, I shall shake my fist and yell at 'em to get off my lawn.

Moving on to Jesse Murphy, bass player of the fine Brazilian Girls, who apparently does some kinda DJ thing. Hey, as long as he doesn't suck as hard as Carlos D... wow, I've gone an entire Blog-achella without mentioning "fuck Interpol"... hey, not any more!

How about Redd Kross? I sorta remember they had a song once that I heard...

Which leaves us with the two big Friday adds...

Goldfrapp



Who they are: They are the diva Allison Golfrapp and um, some dude... but does anyone care about the dude? Nope. Hey, he knows what he signed up for... :P

What they sound like: Well, this new record certainly is a lot mellower than the last couple. No dance anthems here, but it's still very, very good...

Goldfrapp - Road To Somewhere (ysi)




What I think: I've heard that Goldfrapp put on a fantastic live show, and I would definitely add them to the "must-see" group for Friday... and I'll do the same for the next one...

___________________________

Aphex Twin



Who he is: He's Rick James, bitch!

What he sounds like: He's done everything from the most relaxing Ambient to the most brain-shattering Drill & Bass, plus a little bit of everything in between. I'd guess this set might be some of the recent Analord stuff, but there's no tellin' with this wacko. Here's a classic...

Aphex Twin - On (ysi)




What I think: From what I've heard he's just as likely to take the piss as rock the party... but I'd be there to see, fo sho!

----------------------

And to finish up this long-ass post, the Sunday rundown:

Must-See: Sia, Linton Kwesi Johnson, The Field, Dimitri From Paris, Booka Shade, Chromeo, Roger Waters (at least for a bit, ya gotta)... which is by far the weakest Must-See group of the weekend, but these are the only ones I'd have as a top priority, plus, when supplemented by...

Worth A Look: Deadmau5, Manchester Orchestra, Duffy, Kid Sister, Holy Fuck, Cool Kids, Autolux, Murs, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Spiritualized, Love & Rockets... once again you've had a fine day of music, which is what yer after, no?

Meh: Grand Ole Party, Shout Out Louds, Plasticenes, Annuals, Black Mountain, Metric, Danny Tenaglia, My Morning Jacket... please disperse, nothing to see here...

Teh Suck: Austin TV, Brett Dennen, I'm From Barcelona, Sons & Daughters, Gogol Bordello and an honorable mention to DJ Medi4, but you do have to option to not see him at Bonarroo...

And there you have it, another year of Blog-achella hits the fan. I have in the the past done a recommendations post when the set times come out, but it has always proven to be a futile excercise... hell, I don't even follow my own recommendations! Coachella's about goin' with the flow. So take what you've "learned" here and use it to have a freakin' amazing time, fuckers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

metric is a MUST! see for sunday