08 April 2008

Blog-achella 08: Super glossin'

Okay, time to tackle Sunday, and due to the fact that I have about two weeks to get this sucka done, I'm gonna have to gloss over a few acts. But I encourage you to click on the links and check 'em out for yourself, although you must remember they're getting glossed over for a reason... that I would rank them as "meh" or worse...

First off, we have Brett Dennen, who seems like another one for the Jack Johnson crowd, with his tepid acoustic flim-flammery and Paul Simon-esque voice. I bid you good day, sir...

Then there's Plasticenes, who are interesting for the fact that they are a French, all-girl garage rock band. Garage rock in French, eh? I thought all the garages in France were full of stinky wheels of cheese... or am I taking that too literally? Anyhoo, the girls are cute, yes, but the music is nothing special...

I went into this morning thinking that Sweden's Shout Out Louds might be deserving of the full treatment, but I guess I had them confused with someone else. Proof that Europeans can make Indie Pop just as "meh" as Americans can...

And, um... yeah, the bottom of Sunday's lineup just isn't as strong as the bottom of Saturday's...

San Diego's Grand Ole Party are a three piece fronted (or possibly behinded) by a girl drummer/singer, who sounds like a female Jack White. Interesting... sorta not really...

And Austin TV continue this year's trend of poorly chosen Mexican bands on the bill. They're instrumental, yet extremely bland. Maybe they should try a singer... or some spicy jalapeno dip...

And now, finally someone who can get the full treatment...

Deadmau5



Who he is: A relatively new and fast-rising producer from Toronto. Apparently, he came up with this moniker when a mouse crawled into his computer somehow and got fried... bonus points!

What he sounds like: Does it surprise any of you that the first Sunday artist I give the full treatment to does House? Well, it shouldn't... pay attention, dammit! Anyhoo, the sound rides between Tech & Progressive House, but with very little cheese. Mouse... Cheese... get it? I kill me!

Deadmau5 - Alone With You (Original Mix) (ysi)




What I think: I'd say it's the cat's pajamas... get it? I'm on fire today!

1 comment:

NvW... said...

deadmau5 rocks...
http://open-ur-ears.blogspot.com/2008/04/better-sunday-on-drugs.html