07 April 2008

Blog-achella 08: Power of the P (plus Saturday wrap-up)

And now, your Saturday headliner, a band a lot of us have been waiting a looooooooong time to see...

Portishead



Who they are: Remember when they had that thing called Trip-Hop? Anyone? Well, these guys pretty much perfected and defined it.

What they sound like: I shouldn't have to tell you that... but let's talk about the new record... it's full of that Portishead-y goodness you've come to expect... deep beats, Beth Gibbons hauntedly off-kilter vocals... and a few suprises. Take this track, which leads it off. It's probably the most uptempo, aggressive number they've done...

Portishead - Silence (ysi)




What I think: Are you kiddin' me? I'm down like Charlie Brown, clown!

---------------------------

And now, Saturday in a nutshell ("Help! I'm in a nutshell! How did I get into this bloody great big nutshell? What kind of shell has a nut like this?")...

Don't Miss: Portishead, Kraftwerk, M.I.A., Hot Chip, Mark Ronson, The Cinematic Orchestra... Wow! Yeah there's only a half a dozen, but what a half dozen. I've sorta surpised myself by throwing Mark Ronson in there, but I think he's gonna be fun as hell. Now the great thing is, even if it's possible to catch all of the above, you're still gonna have time to choose from a really excellent second tier...

Worth A Look: Death Cab For Cutie, Sasha & Digweed, Kate Nash, Calvin Harris, Junkie XL, The Teenagers, VHS Or Beta, Erol Alkan, Yo Majesty, Bonde Do Role, MGMT, Institubes Paris Terror Club, The Bird & The Bee, Yoav, Uffie... yup, and a couple of these I would almost put in "can't miss", but I'm gonna be a twat and let you figure that out for yourself. So between these two groups, Saturday is officially going to be off the fuckin' hook. But wait, there's "meh"...

Meh: Cafe Tacuba, Rilo Kiley, Cold War Kids, DeVotchKa, Flogging Molly, Turbonegro, Boys Noize, Little Brother, St. Vincent, James Zabiela, SebastiAn, Kavinsky, Dredg, 120 Days, Electric Touch, Yelle... none of which I'd hate myself for catching a couple tunes by, but the need probably won't be there... and finally...

Teh Suck: Dwight Yoakam, Animal Collective, Stephen Malmkus & The Jicks, Scars On Broadway, Islands, Above & Beyond, Enter Shikari, Carbon/Silicon, Man Man, Akron/Family... who should collectively be thrown into a bag and drowned.

So there's that, Sunday to come, and I'm gonna have to burn through it, but get there I will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love to hear their new track! can't wait to hear the new album. hopefully there will be some good new and old in their set!