16 December 2009

Shibuya Sounds

Woo-hoo, it's "Hump Day". Everybody go hump something. NOT your cat...



You are quite likely to find Dutch producer Nicolay's new record in year-end lists of the best in Hip-Hop (I know I have)... which is incredibly wrong. Not because this isn't a good album, but it's nowhere near Hip-Hop, despite the fact that Nicolay, you know, does Hip-Hop. It's actually really hard to slap a genre on this one... it's a whole concept album thingy that touches on everything from Broken Beats to J-Pop to Jazzy to House to you name it. So, I guess the point of all this is that year-end lists are completely fucking meaningless. That's why I don't do 'em. Anyhoo, one track will not do it justice, it's really a piece that demands to be listened to all the way through... but one track is all you get, because suck it...

Nicolay - Meiji Shrine (ysi)







And yes, Meiji Shrine is an extremely cool real place. Dang, I want to go to Japan. Any of you wanna sport me a ticket?

No comments: