11 February 2013

R.I.P. Donald Byrd

You tellin' me you ain't heard the Byrd? Oh you've heard the Byrd, whether you know it or not...



Donald Byrd's music was like a musical gateway drug for me... as soon as I heard it, I started shooting black tar heroin. JUST KIDDING! I didn't touch that stuff until I got into Dan Fogelberg. JUST KIDDING AGAIN! I never got into Dan Fogelberg. But then again, I was never a '70s housewife. For reals though, the man's music opened the gateway to the world of funky Jazz, a world which you may have noticed I tend to frolic in quite often. He's been covered in this space multiple times, so there's not much to add except that he will be missed. A true innovator, scholar and legend. Dig it...

Donald Byrd - Places & Spaces (ysi)






Here's the man layin' it down with Guru's Jazzmatazz from the Red Hot & Cool documentary... start 2:00 in unless you love credit sequences...



The truth. RIP...

No comments: