02 April 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Spank Rock (Sun.) / Sparklehorse (Sat.)

Ah, Monday and back to work after a two-week hiatus. Yuck. Maybe some tunes will cheer me up...

Spank Rock





Who they are: Some raunchy mofos representing Baltimore, the new raunchy mofo hotspot.

What they sound like: Hip hop with electro beats, lotsa fun.

Spank Rock - Lindsay Lohan
Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYoYo



What I think: Gotta love that song, and it gives you a pretty good idea of where these guys are coming from, with humor and nasty sex talk being the top lyrical priorities. Works for me!

--------------------------

Sparklehorse





Who they are: In studio, actually, it's just one guy, a Mr. Mark Linkous of Richmond, Va. I've been to Richmond. My brother lives there. The fact that any even remotely interesting music comes from that dumphole is a miracle unto itself. Seriously, though, the place is a never-ending procession of mini-malls and chain restaurants. It was the capitol of the Confederacy, there's a whole avenue dedicated to monuments of Rebel Civil War generals, and I saw some of the nastiest, white-pawr! style rednecks ever when I was there. I love how my brother and some folks he knows who also moved from more civilized climes (aka above the Mason/Dixon line) refer to the rednecks as "Southerns". Ha!

What they sound like: Spacy, mellow rock with electronic accoutrements (a word I doubt many people in Richmond use regularly).

Sparklehorse - Knives Of Summertime
Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years In the Belly of a Mountain



What I think: Quite nice, actually. I think the (now ubiquitous) Danger Mouse helped on production with this album, which is kind of odd, but dude is eclectic. Worth checking out, especially for those attending Mellow-chella.

---------------------------

I gotta tell you, I saw the scariest movie I've seen in years yesterday, and it might not be what you think:



Holy fucking shit! (pun intended) You think you know just how crazy the religious/political right is? Not until you see this movie, you don't. I don't even have words for it. If you really wanna know what we're up against, this is required viewing. It will blow your mind. No joke.

Jesus is my homeboy!

No comments: