11 April 2007

Gilberto Gil & Tropicalia

Interesting experiment yesterday...

I went ahead and hit the message board over at Coachella's website, announcing the existence of the Blog-achella, just to see what would happen. The results?

- Over 450 pageviews... wow! Let's just say that on a good day I've been getting a tenth of that.

- Some folks liked it.

- Most did not. Apparently the Indie kids are a sensitive and humorless lot. A couple of my favorite comments received...

"Whoaaa who do you think you are giving TPC a bad review, have you actually taken anytime to listen to thier tracks, get your infromatiuon straight."


Umm... who do I think I am? I'm Tone, dammit! That's all you need to know! And I'd also like you to know that my infromatiuon is always solid! My spelling, too!

"Wow, you are a total douche drinker. You hate all of the good stuff but you like a cover of Britany Spears. You should be banned from listening to music."


I can safely say that this is the first time I've ever been called a "douche drinker"... I'll have to add that to the list! And if you can't appreciate "Baby One More Time", you're kind of all cold and dead inside, if you ask me.

So you get the idea... Coachella - Feel The Love!

-----------------------

Anyhoo, time to move past that, and into my music collection. No more curmudgeonly comments from me, because from here on out, it's ALL good! I have set my iTunes to shuffle, and here is the first thing it has spit out:



Brazil, you may think, is all bossa nova and supermodels, but in the late 60s the country was in quite a state of turmoil, as there was a coup and the military took over the government and imposed an iron-handed rule for the next 20 years or so. Right after the coup, artists and musicians started a movement called Tropicalia, which was all about incorporating other cultures into their art and also had a socially and politically conscious voice previously unheard of in Brazil. Gilberto Gil was one of the leaders of the movement, and what did he get for his trouble? Arrested and exiled, of course! Those military dictatorships are even more humorless than the Indie kids! But it all worked out for him though... he's still recording and playing and he's even the Brazilian government's Minister of Culture now. This song here is one of the biggest Tropicalia hits:

Gilberto Gil - Bat Macumba


Buy It!

The lyrics however, are not political. They're not even real words... it's just all nonsense... but they look cool when printed out!

batmacumbaiéié batmacumbaobá
batmacumbaiéié batmacumbao
batmacumbaiéié batmacumba
batmacumbaiéié batmacum
batmacumbaiéié batman
batmacumbaiéié bat
batmacumbaiéié ba
batmacumbaiéié
batmacumba
batmacum
batman
bat
ba
bat
batman
batmacum
batmacumba
batmacumbaié
batmacumbaiéié
batmacumbaiéié ba
batmacumbaiéié bat
batmacumbaiéié batman
batmacumbaiéié batmacum
batmacumbaiéié batmacumbao
batmacumbaiéié batmacumbaobá

See, it makes shapes! Shapes are fun!

And I'll end the day by pointing you over to the blog list on the right and the most bad-ass Brazilian music blog in the world, Loronix. It's just an amazing amount of amazing music, and it is run by a talking parrot. Prepare to spend some time ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tone, tone, tone. Bat Macumba is a sacrificial ritual dance about drinking the blood of bats and the blood from the indie hipster kids at coachella, and has nothing to do with poiltical messages of any kind from the 60's.