02 June 2008

Bonus (non-ear exploding) Post!

Okay, since I just posted a video in which a dude gets his ear splattered across the side of his head (and it was even worse than that grainy YouTube showed... try watching it in HD like I did), I suppose I'll make it up to you with a bonus post...



... and this is a good bonus, because it's a true classic... one of those tunes that everyone needs to own and play at every single barbecue they ever attend. Can you tell I have a thing about barbecues? I grilled this thresher shark last week that was so good I had to change my pants after I ate it. I'll leave it up to you to ponder why... Anyhoo, when Jazz trumpeter Donald Byrd decided to start a funk band, none of his snooty Jazz friends wanted to participate, so he recruited a bunch of his Howard University music students for the project and The Blackbyrds were born. This worked out really well for Byrd. Not only did he have a band willing to follow his every direction, he was able to pay them in ramen noodles and Milwaukee's Best...

The Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park (ysi)




Yep, there's not much that's not perfect about that jam... so I hope you've forgiven me for the ear thing... :P

No comments: