20 January 2011

Blog-achella Goes to '11: Because Its One More Than Ten

And so it begins again... our yearly slog through the mire of the Coachella lineup. Here's how it works. Bands that do not suck, I do a post on them. Bands that suck, I do not. Bands that are somewhere in between, I also do not, but I mention that you should maybe check them out on your own and figure it out for yourself. You are sentient beings with the power to make decisions for yourselves, after all. And just remember... if you disagree with something said here... I do not care and no amount of calling me a douchebag in the comments will change that. YOU GOT THAT, INDIE TWATS FROM THE COACHELLA BOARDS? IT IS I WHO MAKES THE TASTE AROUND HERE! IF YOU WANT SOMEONE TO JERK YOU OFF ABOUT HOW GREAT ANIMAL COLLECTIVE IS, GO READ GORILLA VS. BEAR! Because it's the one time of year I get to write nasty, and I am man enough to admit that I kinda enjoy it. Let's get to it, starting (as is the custom) at the bottom of Friday on the poster...

... with Emicida, who appears to be a Brazilian rapper. Not bad but a bit shouty for my tastes... plus if there's one kind of music that I place some importance on the lyrics of, it's Hip-Hop. And I don't know Portuguese so that doesn't help. How do you say "grillz" in Portuguese, anyway? What is the proper term in Rio for "make it rain"? Beats the hell out of me. Check him out though, it's worth a listen... but the first act to get a proper post this year will be...

Kyle Hall



Who he is: A rather young up-and-comer from Detroit. Dude can't even buy a drink and he's playing Coachella. I believe I hate him for that (but it's only a reflection of my own lack of life accomplishments, so don't read to deeply into it).

What he sounds like: He does some Dubstep records and he also does some Tech House records. I like what I've heard from him in both genres, but I'll go with a Dubstep tune because the Dubstep is totally my shit right now, as I may have mentioned once or twice...

Kyle Hall - Kaychunk (ysi)






What I think: I think the set will more than likely NOT be a Dubstep set, as every video I've found of the guy on YouTube is of him DJing Techno/Tech House. THE POWER OF DEDUCTION, HOLMES! Now... for those of you who are new to this little venture, I always include some live performance video in these things. So here you go...



No, the DJ videos are not always terribly exciting. But whatever... it makes you feel like you're there, don't it now?

And that's how this thing works. I'll be doing it right up 'til the show itself, so grab a comfy chair, some Funyuns and a Four Loko and go off!

No comments: