07 January 2011

Tone's Ten Top of Ten - Part 3

Just because I'm doing this little special kerfuffle right now doesn't mean I'm gonna fuck with House Music Friday. That would be THE CRAZY TALK!

Part 3: Housey Doingz




(DOUBLE UPDATE! GET THIS... THIS POST GOT DMCA'D AGAIN, AFTER I TOOK THE FUCKING MP3S DOWN. SO DOUBLE FUCK YOU, RECORD COMPANIES. I NOW KNOW WITH TOTAL CERTAINTY THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ENTITY IN THIS WORLD STUPIDER THAN THE FUCKING REPUBLICANS.)

There were, of course, tons and tons of great House records released in 2010 and I could wow you with a list of obscure 12's from hip European labels... but that's pretty much what I do every House Music Friday. So go back through the archives and suck it all in. But to figure out what those records are, I'd actually have to go back through my posts and my iTunes and, um, figure it out. As great as the best House records are, it can be hard to remember which one is which without some visual reminder in front of you. But there are a couple records that pop into the ol' brain without prompting. And they're not exactly obscure. They're actually a bit popular. But why are they popular? Because they're a little bit goofy, they're catchy as hell, and they've got a good beat and I can dance to it, Dick...

The first of these tracks is Riva Starr's bizarre Balkan beatdown "I Was Drunk", which used oompa-oompa accordion, some filter freaking and vocals by the kings of WTF, Noze, to provide the perfect soundtrack for an Armenian security guard to do headstands to. Come by a Chelsea Lately taping sometime and you'll see what I mean...

(ONE OF THESE TRACKS GOT ME DMCA'D RIGHT QUICK-LIKE. I'M GUESSING IT WAS THIS ONE, AS POSITIVA IS PART OF EMI AND IF THERE'S ONE THING MAJOR LABELS DON'T LIKE, IT'S PEOPLE TO HEAR THEIR MUSIC. BUH-BYE.)

This one has an equally bizarre video which takes the talking baby meme to a whole new level... A MOUSTACHIOED ONE!

(THERE WAS A FUNNY VIDEO HERE WITH TALKING MOUSTACHIOED BABIES, BUT I GUESS THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE THAT EITHER. MAKES PERFECT SENSE.)


Um. Yeah.

Now Armand Van Helden... interesting case, that guy. For long stretches I do not give two shits about Armand Van Helden, but every couple of years or so he comes out with something too genius to resist. Like the Tori Amos remix. Or "The Funk Phenomena". Huge tunes. And now he's teamed up with A-Trak (who most of the world knows as Kanye's DJ) to form Duck Sauce. Two words. Barbra Streisand.

(BUT I GOTTA DELETE THIS ONE, TOO, JUST IN CASE. SEE? ONE ASSHOLE RUINS IT FOR EVERYONE.)

Say what you will, but that's my jam, right there. This one also has a notable video... as you can imagine, these two guys have some pretty fancy friends in the music biz, and every single one of them lends a hand...

(USED TO BE A VIDEO HERE, TOO. KANYE WAS IN IT, SITTING IN A CHAIR. HE LOOKED PERTURBED FOR SOME REASON.)

Fancy friends, indeed. Kanye could lighten up a bit, but what else is new right? Oh, and fuck the Vampire Weekend guy and his stupid band. Someone had to say it. Have a great weekend, kiddies...

No comments: