18 June 2009

Brazilian Funk - two words that cannot possibly suck

Yes, our never-ending trip around all things funky today takes us back to Brazil... which is a good thing, because I left my hair dryer there last time. That's even funnier because I'm bald...



Black Rio. Sounds like a great name for a Bond villian, or perhaps an African-American Duran Duran tribute band, no? Well, it was also a musical movement in Brazil, of all places. To put it as simply as I can... "You got your Funk in my Samba! No, you got your Samba in my Funk!" Either way, the results were pretty awesome, and one of the biggest acts of the era was the very appropriately named Banda Black Rio, because Brazilian people don't have time to waste fucking around trying to think of clever band names... there are Caipirinhas to drink and festive headdresses to dance about in! Then you put on tunes like this and get freak-ay...

Banda Black Rio - Vidigal (ysi)







And you gotta love the YouTubes when you find classic footage like this...



I particularly enjoyed the way they just rolled with the graphics scroll right over the top of the band like that. So-and-so is on trumpet, if you could see him behind these words! Genius...

No comments: