01 March 2011

Blog-achella Goes To '11: The Round Mound of Funky Sound

I've actually got a long list of skippies today, some of which are good bands, but I gotta pick up the pace, so here we go...

Imagine, if you will, that The Stone Roses were boring instead of awesome, and you'd have Tame Impala. I know they got a lot of love from KCRW but I blame The Ghost of Nic Harcourt's Shitty Musical Taste for that...

Next we have Ozomatli, whom I'd certainly recommend although they're not what they used to be. Hate me for sayin' it, but I liked 'em better with Chali 2na and Cut Chemist in the group... which was like a million years ago, I know, but I am old and set in my ways and GET OFF MY GODDAMN LAWN ALREADY, YOU NO GOOD KIDS!

Warpaint is a pretty unique proposition... a chick band playing mellow stoner Rock. They're almost there... I think I'll check back with 'em in a couple albums...

My opinion on Flogging Molly hasn't really changed since the last time they played this thing, so just click the link for the trademark snark...

Afrojack does not have an Afro, nor is he named Jack. Boyz Noize, on the other hand, is in fact a boy and does in fact make noise. But be it truth or lies, they're both just Fidget House dudes I can do without. Afrojack's less obnoxious, if you're scoring at home...

Hmmm, I see Sleigh Bells just played last year and I thought they sucked then. I was probably right... Hold on, let me check their Myspace...

...

...

Yep, I was right. They still sound like The Kills run though a garbage disposal...

And Cold War Kids, well, a couple of my good friends are quite in love with them, so I won't say anything bad... to me they're kinda just Indie Rock Band™, if you catch my drift...

Finally, as far as today's list is concerned... and this comes as a pretty big shocker... I just listened to Cut Copy's new record and I'm not feelin' it. Not at all. It's the vocals that are killing me. WAY too OMD. Big disappointment. Sad face made...

But there is absolutely no denying the undeniable amazingness of...

Cee-Lo Green



Who he is: The Soul Machine, The Lady Killer, The, um, dude with the Perfect Imperfections...

What he sounds like: If you don't know what Cee-Lo sounds like by now, you're probably one of those douchebags who only listens to New York Indie bands and I'm guessing people don't like you very much... and although he had what I consider EASILY the jam of the year for 2010 with "Fuck You", I don't really think you need me to post that here. Instead I'm gonna go back a little to the days when he did more rappin' than sangin'... he's very good at that,

Cee-Lo Green - I'll Be Around (ft. Timbaland) (ysi)






What I think: I think if you miss Cee-Lo, you're probably one of those douchebags who only listens to New York Indie bands and I'm guessing people don't like you very much... and, fuck it, here's "Fuck You"...



All-girl band? ALL-GIRL BAND! Damn, I love Cee-Lo...

No comments: