18 November 2008

Smoove Operator

Why do I have a man-crush on Gilles Peterson? It's not his sexy legs, it's because he keeps turning me on to music like this...



Although I have already proclaimed Jazzanova's new record to be the undisputed album of the year, a guy who contributed some vocals to that effort has his own record that I would put up there as one of the serious challengers... and that guy is Brooklyn's Jose James. This guy is smoove, man. Smoove like butta... smoove like my bald dome... smoove like some other really smoove thing. He's a rare bird in this day and age, a bona fide Jazz singer. Sure, his sound has some modern trappings... today's tune dabbles with a Drum & Bass beat, sorta, but this guy is an old-school Jazz man trapped in a young dude's hoodie...

Jose James - Love (ysi)







Essential stuff. And through the magic of Fabchannel, I even get to share with you a full live concert today. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lily Kane said...

Hey, just be glad you're not a woman. If I see Gilles I might ask him to marry me.