06 November 2008

So this one time I met...

I get to be a name-dropper today, which you know I love...



Belgian group Hooverphonic rode an Isaac Hayes sample to Trip-Hop success back in the day when they came out with "2Wicky", which I'll remember from the movie Stealing Beauty, which I'll remember for getting to see Liv Tyler's boobies. And, um... I think it took place in Italy or something. Now you know what I look for in a movie. Anyhoo, they are still at it and unlike some of their former contemporaries who are still having a go, they still do not suck. (I'm looking in your direction, Morcheeba). Their sound has changed, of course... from the sample-heavy stuff to dreamy guitar pop, but the atmosphere and some electronics remain and the songwriting is still solid... like so...

Hooverphonic - Stranger (ysi)







I have a personal Hooverphonic story... way back when I went and saw these guys with a couple co-workers of mine who happened to be pretty young ladies. After the show we stepped to the bar, only to find that they had closed up. D'oh! It was then that one of the guys from Hooverphonic walked up next to us... he was pretty easy to recognize as he was wearing pink teddy bear footie pajamas (those wacky Belgians). Anyhoo, when we told him the bar was closed he invited us up to chill with the band and drink from their stash. So we did. It was pretty fun hanging out with them... or at least I think it was. I honestly couldn't understand one word any of them said. And we hung out for two hours. I had no idea what we were talking about at any point in that time. Of course, I was totally shit-faced, but that's neither here nor there. Moral of the story: Bring girls to the club, and you might just get to hang out with Belgian guys in pink teddy bear footy pajamas who barely speak English. I didn't say it was a good story...

No comments: