19 August 2009

My next side project = Polka/Calypso fusion

Side projects are cool when they don't suck...



Lanu is the Kiwi guitarist and "bandleader" of Aussie Funk outfit The Bamboos, who you already know about. His real name is Lance... which is why he calls himself anything other than Lance. Now, I hate when someone from a band does a side project and it sounds exactly like the band they're in (most every Rock side project ever) or sounds completely different and sucks ass (most every other non-Rock side project by a rocker ever), so I'm quite pleased to say Lanu turns in The Bamboos' old-school Funk for some shiny new Broken Beat/Nu Jazz gear. The vocals on this one are very nice and handled by fellow Kiwi Cherie Mathieson, and the label is Tru Thoughts, because of course it is...

Lanu - Runaway (ysi)







I know, what you're saying... you're saying why hate on the Rock side projects, Tone? I say to you The Honeydrippers, The Fireman, Audioslave and pretty much everything Perry Farrell's ever done that's not Jane's Addiction for starters...

P.S. I shall call my band A-Polka-Lypso

2 comments:

Tony Schwa said...

A-polka-lypso!? shit, that's genius.

Tonegent said...

Hehe... thanks!