15 June 2010

It doesn't always have to be street...

And it doesn't get much less street than this guy...



Okay, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Really, Tone? LL Cool J? Look, I love NCIS:Los Angeles as much as the next guy, but what gives?" Well, believe it or not, LL Cool J was once a rapper. No, for reals. This is his first record. Came out in 1985. Twenty-freaking-five years ago. You say you weren't born yet? Fuuuuuuck me, I'm old. But that's beside the point. Before you enjoyed his Oscar-worthy performances in such cinematic milestones as Deliver Us From Eva, LL rocked rhymes over beats. He pretty much created Pop Rap (says so right on Wikipedia) with this album, you know. And he, uh, well, he just got poppier and poppier, but never mind that. Up through Mama Said Knock You Out, Cool James' oeuvre is pretty much unkfuckwiddable if, shall we say... quaint by today's standards...

LL Cool J - You Can't Dance (ysi)






I actually went to an LL Cool J concert once at UC Irvine. It was me, my friend the only other white male in the room, and 10,000 screaming young Asian girls. When LL ripped off his shirt, poured water over himself and humped his stool, pandemonium exploded... and the Asian girls liked it, too... WHAT?!?!

No comments: