11 April 2008

Blog-achella 08: LKJ

Today we start with probably the most "serious" guy on the bill...

Linton Kwesi Johnson



Who he is:
Jamaican-born, British-raised, highly educated speaker of truths. I mean, he's like only the second living poet to be published in the Penguin Classics series. Now, I really have no idea what that means, but I'm sure it's very impressive to those who do... :P

What he sounds like:
LKJ is known as the "dub poet"... he does a spoken word style over dense dub beats in a Jamaican patois that only barely resembles English and that I am quite fascinated with. I mean, look at the title of this song... what the hell does that mean?

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Come Wi Go Dung Deh (ysi)




What I think: This certainly ain't no UB40 shit here (not that I have a huge problem with UB40... they were really good until they got old and started doing nothing but bad cover songs), this is some real intense stuff. Spark one up and get some knowledge...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This IS the historic artist at Coachella this season. Check out the new UB40 dub session album..very nice move back to where they really came from UB44 and before....