09 April 2008

Blog-achella 08: The White Winehouse

Looking forward into Sunday's lineup, there really aren't too many more bands I'll be glossing over, so don't worry that I'm taking the (super)easy way out, but here's another one. I'm From Barcelona doesn't get the full love because they're not from Barcelona, and I'm not going to tolerate two straight bands that have names that say they're from somewhere when they're not. My mama told me lyin' is wrong, dammit! They're actually from Sweden, there's about 30 people in the band, and although it's kinda catchy, it's the kind of hippy-dippy "Up With People" ass-clownery that makes me wanna punch people... Swedish people. Except for the ones that read this blog, who I will instead hug... :)

Duffy



Who she is: A new singer from Wales.

What she sounds like: Kinda like a white version of Amy Winehouse... and yes, I'm well aware that Amy Winehouse is white (and possibly part condor... think about it), but Amy don't sound white, do she? Duffy has the same throwback '60s Girl-Pop vibe (lots of people are throwing out Dusty Springfield comparisons)... but whiter...

Duffy - Mercy (ysi)




What I think: I'm kinda diggin' it... not as good as Amy though, but hey few are... that girl may be a hot mess, but she can sang! You know, I think its that little dash of teh crazy that separates the true artists from the merely talented singers... discuss...

1 comment:

TellingOnTrixie said...

"part condor" Love it.