27 May 2009

We should get back in touch...

Sometimes this blog helps me get reacquainted with my own music collection... to wit...



Now, I don't have anything against the dude... it's not like he owes me money or anything, but me and RJD2 aren't exactly close. I mean that in the sense of... I'm not as familiar with his work as I should be, considering it tends to be pretty dang good, and I own most of it. Rack it up to me having too much music, I guess... but then this beauty pops up in the shuffle this morning and I says to myself, "Self, you need to listen up to that RJD2 shit more often"...

RJD2 - Clean Living (ysi)







That vocal sample sounds like Nina, but for some reason I don't think that's who it is. Anyone got any info? The main sample of the track, however, is no mystery, and because I loves me some sample sources, here it is...

Pure Essence - Third Rock (ysi)





I'm actually not sure which tune I prefer... what's your vote?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know the man's name, but L.A. Reid is the drummer from the band and he went on to co-found LaFace Records, discovered Outkast and helmed Arista.
~ J. Couly

check out Soul Cal records to find a bevvy of other lost soul classics, this gem was originally on the Mantra label circa 1976, check out"Wake Up" as well

hokwei said...

You mos def need to be more familiar with RJD2.. He's the shit!