11 March 2010

Blog-achella X: Rollin' Sporadic

Hey all, sorry for the lack of posts these past couple weeks. I took a temporary job grooming Mo'Nique's leg hair during Oscar week. Harrowing. But paid well... Now, despite what you are about to read, I'm extremely excited for Sunday at Coachella. For one, it's the day I plan on going, so there's that... and for two, it's easily the strongest day of this year's festival... except maybe for the bottom line on the poster. To wit...

One EskimO aren't terrible or anything, but the first thing that popped into my head was "Mazzy Star with a dude", which troubles me for some reason... partly because I was really hoping for some actual Eskimo music, which is a much under-appreciated genre...

Delphic aren't bad either, but the first thing that popped into my head with them was "poor man's Friendly Fires", so... they're the kind of group to go see if no one you really like is playing and you probably won't even regret it... #backhandedcompliment

But nothing backhanded here... DJ Paparazzi is some fucking horrible fidget house bullshit. Music for Lindsay Lohan.

Kevin Devine is a singer/songwriter dude that adds a little electronics into the mix, which makes him slightly more interesting than the average singer/songwriter dude... but just slightly...

And since I'm feeling pissy today, there is no love for The Soft Pack and their generic Indie Rock, either...

Then we have Hadouken!, who take their name from the game Street Fighter, which is kind of cool... and is the only thing cool about them. Imagine the Prodigy being raped by Limp Bizkit and you're in the ballpark. Wretched...

And The Middle East are quite frankly guilty of the same kind of false advertising as One EskimO, in that they are a Folk-y band from Australia... not an oil-rich region torn apart by constant bloody wars over whose invisible man in the sky can beat up the other people's invisible man in the sky. But then the good stuff starts with...

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble



Who they are: Well, I actually just posted on these guys just a short time ago, so go read that and grab that tune to boot...

What they sound like: Funky-ass and all brass...

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Baji (ysi)






What I Think: Can't wait to see these guys do their thing...



Don't know what was up with the one dude grabbing his junk the whole time, but whatevs... back to a full week next week, for realsies...

1 comment:

Richard Paul said...

Greetings,

I've been running a music blog for almost 3 years now and I'm finally making an effort to get it more known. During the past 3 years, I've often found your blog to be a brilliant source of new music. For as long as I can remember, I've included a link to your blog in my sidebar. In addition to providing such great music over the years, I'm asking of you of yet another favor: Would you please be so kind to add a link to my blog on your website? Feel free to check it out before you make your decision. Thank you for your consideration and keep up the great work unveiling brilliant new music! I wish you continued success. Cheers!

Richard
www.comps4jenna.com

(you may delete this comment after you read it)