03 March 2010

Blog-achella X: Going back to move forward

So a funny thing happened while I was going through Saturday's lineup. They went and fooled around with Friday, adding four acts... pretty decent ones, except for one... and how fuckin' rude, eh? DO THEY NOT KNOW THAT I HAD ALREADY MOVED ON?!?! I HAVE NO TIME FOR SUCH FLIM-FLAMMERY!

Oh... wait. Actually I do. My bad...

The first add is Street Sweeper Social Club, which features rapper Boots Riley of The Coup doing his thing over Tom Morello's Heavy Metal riffage. But Rap Metal is so 1995, ya know? Not feelin' it so much...

Then, not added but rather moved from Sunday in an obvious effort to piss me off is the legendary Gil Scott-Heron. The new record is a trip, too. Heavily electronic... you'd think Massive Attack produced this jam...

Gil Scott-Heron - Me And The Devil (ysi)






See what I mean? Eh? Eh?

And you KNEW when the original lineup was announced and Perry Farrell wasn't on it... well you knew that wouldn't last for long. As I mentioned in my Faith No More post, they are obviously contractually obliged to have Perry there. That or he has pictures of Paul Tollett giving a horse a rim job. It's one or the other. Anyhoo, this time he's paired up with Fidget House DJ Steve Porter and I'm sure it will be dreadful, as all Perry Farrell DJ shenanigans have always been. I did, however, go see him play Drum & Bass once at Club Lingerie, but the most memorable part of that evening was seeing this couple pork in a corner booth. Ew.

But here is the exact opposite of "ew"...

Imogen Heap



Who she is: A brilliant Pop artist and she ain't bad to look at either...

What she sounds like: I guess some people (aka people who are stupid) might dismiss Imogen Heap as being, I dunno, EZ Listening or something... what with the pretty vocals and general airiness and lightness of her music. But, as I said, they are stupid. Like, Sarah Palin stupid, oh snap. Girl is on the cutting edge of electronics and live-looping, and you bet you'll see some of that action when she does this number...

Imogen Heap - Earth (ysi)






What I think: I think the last time I saw her at Coachella it sent shivers down my spine in the good way, and I fully expect that will be the case again. Watch the lady work, why don't you?



Fuckin' Metal at the end there, eh? See what I mean? Don't let the fact that her old band (Frou Frou) was championed by Zach Braff fool you... Imogen Heap is for realsies, and totally kicks La Roux out of the Friday top 5. Speaking of which, I forgot to do a Saturday Top 5 and Underdog Pick to steal the show, so here goes...

Top 5 For Saturday

1) Hot Chip
2) 2 Many DJs
3) Z-Trip
4) Corinne Bailey Rae
5) Faith No More

Underdog Pick of the Day - Bassnectar

Phew. You got all that? Good. Shit gets serious tomorrow. And this time I really mean tomorrow... probably...

No comments: