21 September 2010

In which I inexplicably discuss Gordon Lightfoot far too much...

... and that's what we call a SPOILER ALERT!



I'm usually rather suspicious when a band's name is too, shall we say, obviously trying to tell you something... when a group are calling themselves the "Funk" this or the "Jazz" that. It usually reeks of cheesiness... you don't have to tell us you're funky, WE'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT, FUCKOS! But of course, there are exceptions, so have no fear of The Souljazz Orchestra for they bring the realz. Actually, they're more Afrobeat than Soul Jazz, although this latest record ups the Jazz ante by being their first fully acoustic set. Also, bonus points for being from Ottawa, Ontario... I grew up near there. And Ottawa is no Toronto or Montreal anything cool like that... I thought it was all Gordon Lightfoot and Barenaked Ladies up there, but I stand corrected. Not that there's anything wrong with some Gordon Freakin' Lightfoot, yo!

The Souljazz Orchestra - Serenity (ysi)






Actually I take that back. There is some wrong to be found... "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" creeped me the fuck out as a kid... not as much as the absolutely horrifying spoken word bit in the middle of "Knights In White Satin", but pretty damn close... that "Sundown" jawn isn't too bad, though. For more of my thoughts on Gordon Lightfoot, tune in to... nothing. I have no more thoughts on Gordon Lightfoot...

No comments: