30 May 2007

Best. Jazz. Evar!

It was only a matter of time before Miles popped up on the shuffle...



... and I don't really need to say much on this one. A lot of people say that Kind Of Blue is the best Jazz album ever recorded, and I'm inclined to agree with them. I'd read this here and there before I bought it, and on first listen I was actually convinced I'd heard the recorded sound of perfection. It's that freaking good. If you only own one Jazz album ever, this is the one. (Narrowly beating out Kenny G.'s Greatest Hits, of course... but I kid). And when you realize that the players (a bunch of no-names: John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb) walked into the studio that morning, were handed this simplest of sketches, and then hammered out, on the very first take, this...

Miles Davis - All Blues
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue



... that sounds like they must have worked on it for a month to perfect it... Wowzers. They were good at music and stuff.

And your bonus from the YouTubes, a live take with a different group from about 5 years later.



Good stuff, that. Actually... essential. Like a mofo!

No comments: