16 May 2007

Rollin' thru Khartoum

I don't imagine you could get farther away from yesterday's selection than this...



Okay, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about today's artist, apart from this. Abdel Gadir Salim is a Sudanese singer and oud player, the title means "I am destined to love", and I picked up this song a while back from the great African music blog Benn Loxo Du Taccu. I tried to get some expert opinion, but I couldn't pry Tom Schnabel off his Filipino pool boy long enough to get any information out of him. Figures. So I'll just say this is a nice, subtly funky groove that has African, Arabic and even Western elements (sax solo!) to it and the singing is silky smooth... this is really "accessible" African music (although I kinda hate that term, but whatevs).

Abdel Gadir Salim - Qidrechinna




Sounds like summer music to me!

No comments: