24 May 2007

Watch yer toes...

... 'cuz I'm droppin' a heavy one on ya today.



Randy Weston is a jazz pianist I had never heard of until I found some of his music on the great jazz blog Pharoahs Dance and decided to give it a shot, despite the fact that I have a hard time taking anyone named "Randy" seriously. It's just a thing I have, okay? Well, I'm glad I gave Randy a chance, because his music is an awesome meeting of Jazz and African styles. I could pretend to drop all sorts of knowledge about this album, but instead I will refer you to the handy liner notes. I'll just say that this is a big ensemble (featuring a number of heavy hitters like Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter and Max Roach) jazz number made special by an absolute monster of an African percussion break... dig it.

Randy Weston - Bantu




If that doesn't get ya all fired up, I don't know what will. So take that energy and go out and have an awesome Memorial Day weekend, everyone (everyone in the US that is, the rest of you just have an awesome regular weekend. Us Yanks don't have to go to work Monday, so neener neener neener!)

Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Never would have heard of this guy if it weren't for you. Thanks.

Not to spam or anything, but please feel free to check out my music. Not sure if it will float your boat, but whatevah.

Happy Memorial Day weekend!