03 December 2007

A return to Habana

You know what sucks? Only having a one-day weekend. Yep, had to work all day Saturday. But I'll try not to let the pent-up bitterness get the best of me...



Ruben Gonzalez was the, I'm gonna say, 352-year-old piano player in the Buena Vista Social Club, and the second member of that group to pop up in the ol' iTunes shuffle. (Go ahead and click here for my extremely informative post on Compay Segundo.) And considering he was actually the guy who greeted Christopher Columbus when he discovered Cuba (see, you learn somethin' around here every now and then :P ), it's pretty amazing that he could still play piano so well. Anyhoo, like just about all of the B.V.S.C. members, he recorded some solo stuff after the original album came out, and it's just fantastic music...

Ruben Gonzalez - Tumbao



And here's one of my favorite clips from the film, featuring the man himself...



Heck, I just hope I'm not wearing a diaper when I'm that old. Cheers, Senor Gonzalez!

No comments: