19 January 2010

Blog-achella X: Chapter 1 - A Suspicious Lack of Outrage

So a funny thing happened today... the annual Coachella lineup came out and people aren't even pissed. What gives? Wherefore the bile? Oh, wait, I see... it actually looks really good this year...


(Click to Embiggen!)

Yes, there is a lot to like up there. But there's also... and I'm pretty sure this means I'm as "out of touch" as Hall & Oates... more bands than ever that I have never heard of. This looks like a job for Blog-achella! You know it (or you don't) and love it (or you will). It's a pretty simple concept... I'm gonna run it down and you're gonna check it out. I will only give full posts to bands I think are worth seeing. And if you don't agree with my opinions, I DO NOT CARE! YOUR FAVORITE BAND SUCKS, AND THAT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE BY YOU CALLING ME A DOUCHEBAG IN THE COMMENTS, INDIE KID HIPSTER FUCKWAFFLES! So grab a seat, and let's see what we got here. We begin, as usual, at the bottom of Friday...

And the first name we find is one Pablo Hassan, who appears to be a local Dubstep DJ. Nothing wrong with that, so let's hope he has some good records ready for the 10 folks who show up to the Sahara Tent at Noon on Friday...

Next up, one Alana Grace, also based in L.A., with some non-descript Pop/Rock as featured in The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants. No, really. Don't need to say any more about that one, methinks...

And just so I don't seem like a big crab right outta the gate by skipping through a shitload of bands, the first Blog-achella post of the year goes to...

Jets Overhead



Who they are: A five-piece musical combo from Victoria, British Columbia, which is right next to Vancouver and therefore currently preparing to be overrun by shit-eating European Luge aficionados. I don't get Luge, man. Yeah, I wanna slide down a frigging ice chute on a board lying on my back at 80 miles an hour... because I would like to die. No fucking thank you. Love the Bobsledding, though...

What they sound like: Nicely atmospheric Indie Rock with boy/girl vocals... someone get Zach Braff on the line, STAT!

Jets Overhead - No Nations (ysi)







What I think: Not the kind of band I'm gonna get (making finger quotes) "excited" about but I can't quite hate them either. Just enough on the right side of "meh" for me to give 'em a post here on the first day because I'm feeling magnanimous plus they get bonus points for being from Canada. Don't ask why, because THERE IS NO ASKING WHY HERE! ACCEPT MY WORD AS LAW! Anyhoo, as always, if there's a live YouTubes out there, I will include it. To wit...



So yeah, you've just walked in and it's not too crowded yet so you sit down on the ground and check out some nice mellow tune-age whilst puffing the doob you snuck through security? I'll support that...

And that's pretty much how this Blog-achella thing goes. Join me, won't you?

No comments: